The Thomas Lakin Institute For Mentored Leadership
The Institute is designed to prepare senior-level executives for positions as community college chief executive officers and has graduated the highest number of African Americans who have gone on to CEO positions over any other leadership institute in the United States. Over twenty-five per cent of current African-American community college presidents are alumni of the Lakin Institute.
The distinguished faculty of the Lakin Institute includes current community college CEOs, current and past members of the American Association of Community Colleges Board of Directors, and trustees and staff of the Association of Community College Trustees. The Lakin faculty mentors and shares their expertise, challenging participants to realize their potential.
The Institute includes both formal and informal opportunities to experience collegial and open dialogues. Areas of focus include: preparation for the hiring processes (including mock interviews), strategic planning, financial development, Board relations, creating a vision, consensus-building, negotiating, and others. The Institute offers a unique opportunity to network and develop bonds within the group. Participants learn firsthand the fine techniques of leadership from those who have been successful and who are eager to share their experiences and the lessons learned.
October 20 – 25, 2019
Kansas City, Missouri
Lakin Institute Selection Process
Selection to the Lakin Institute is competitive. Participants should currently report to the most senior officer of the organization and be poised to assume the role of CEO or equivalent as their next position. Experience is not limited to community college experience but might also include university, business, government, or other organizational experience.
- About Dr. Lakin
- 2019 Lakin Brochure
- Lakin Fact Sheet
- 2014 Lakin Institute Experience (slideshow)
- 2016 Lakin Institute Cohort
- 2017 Lakin Institute Cohort
- Materials submitted by May 15: $1,800 (includes $100 nonrefundable application fee that must accompany your submission)
- Materials submitted May 16 – August 1: $2,000 (includes $200 nonrefundable application fee that must accompany your submission)
- Complete the Lakin Fellow Application Form
- Complete the College/District and Lakin Fellow Agreement Form
- Attach required documents: (1) an organization chart, (2) a current resume, (3) two letters of recommendation, and (4) a high resolution jpeg picture.
- Submit application, agreement form, and required attachments to:
Presidents’ Round Table
Attn: Lakin Institute
400 South 4th St.
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Reserve your hotel room by October 4! PRT has arranged a group rate of $159/night.